In its short history, UNLV has experienced a dramatic transformation, from a dusty outpost on the south edge of Las Vegas to a thriving urban research institution. In 1951, James Dickinson and two part-time instructors began teaching classes to 12 full-time and 16 part-time students at Las Vegas High School. The library had 1,800 donated books in a closet. The population of Las Vegas was around 48,000.
UNLV has come a long way from the high school dressing rooms that once served as classrooms. Today, UNLV is a research university serving more than 28,000 students with internationally recognized programs in hotel administration and creative writing; professional degrees in law, architecture, and dental medicine; and leading programs in fine arts, sciences and education. UNLV is located on a 332-acre main campus, satellite campuses and an international campus in Singapore.